Cahaba Valley Fire & EMR District
2021 Special Election
Updated: August 20, 2021
Status of election: Shelby County Probate Judge ordered the election to be held on Aug. 31, 2021
When is the election?
Where is the election being held?
Who can vote?
What will the additional funds be used for?
What major changes are being proposed in this election?
- Increases number of available ambulances available to the District. Click to see CBS 42 Article on ambulance shortages in Central Alabama Click to see ABC 33/40 article on ambulance shortages
- Increases the department’s Effective Response Force on critical incidents (Number of personnel available to respond)
- Increased staffing decreases the number of times units are unavailable for calls. (Currently 83 times per month multiple calls are dispatched simultaneously.)
- Reduces response times district wide
- Reduces amount of time to put the proper number of firefighters on scene, which reduces proper damage.
Click link to view PDF—> CVFD Strategic Plan
Published in Shelby County Reporter classifieds weekly beginning August 1, 2021 until the election as required by law.
July 9, 2021 Shelby County Reporter- https://shelbycountyreporter.com/2021/07/09/cahaba-valley-fire-district-proposing-dues-increase-as-part-of-improvement-plan/
July 12, 2021 ABC 3340 Local News- https://abc3340.com/news/local/cahaba-valley-fire-district-looking-to-increase-fire-dues-to-meet-needs
July 13, 2021 NBC 13 Local News- https://www.wvtm13.com/amp/article/cahaba-valley-fire-proposes-flat-rate-dues/37012122
July 15, 2021 Shelby County Reporter- https://shelbycountyreporter.com/2021/07/15/residents-express-mixed-feelings-about-cahaba-valley-fires-proposed-dues-increase/
July 30, 2021 Shelby County Reporter- https://shelbycountyreporter.com/2021/07/30/cahaba-valley-fire-revises-proposed-dues-increase-plan/
Community Meetings were held:
Date Time Location
July 12, 2021 7:00 PM 145 Narrows Drive Birmingham, AL 35242 (Station 185)
July 13, 2021 7:00 PM 60 Manning Place Birmingham, AL 35242 (Station 183)
July 27, 2021 7:00 PM 5487 Highway 280 Birmingham, AL 35242 (Station 181)
Will be updated as issued